Why the Kindergarten Program at Reading Friends of Aledo is different
A child’s first year in school should not be a wasted year. Your child’s kindergarten experience should be exceptional! Research shows that the education children receive during this important year plays an important role in their future academic success. The comprehensive, customized, and accelerated kindergarten curriculum offered by Reading Friends of Aledo helps to build the foundation of future success for our young students without the long 7 1/2 hour day of traditional programs. Parents can choose to send their child to our kindergarten program either three-hours per day or five-hours per day, based on their child’s readiness.
Our kindergartners discover their academic potential as they progress through each of the core areas of learning: Language, Math, Science, Handwriting, Music, Spanish, Technology, and Fine Art.
Advantages of our private kindergarten:
- Small class sizes for more individualized attention. Our average student-teacher ratio is 10:1, compared to an average of 23:1 in most public schools;
- Challenging curriculum material spanning a range of K-2, customized to each child’s learning ability, and approved by the Texas Education Agency (TEA);
- Conducive hours for the perfect balance between learning and family time: With options to attend 9:00am to 12:00pm or 9:00am to 2:00pm (with an early drop-off option of 8:30am), parents can customize their child’s schedule to fit their needs;
- Convenient for families who also have younger children enrolled in our preschool program (ages two through five);
- Exceptional teachers who are college degreed and passionate about bringing out the best in each of their students.
Our kindergarten materials are selected exclusively from the curriculums approved by the Texas Education Agency (TEA) and exceed the TEA Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for Kindergarten and are paired with additional programs that augment each student’s learning ability. Reading Friends of Aledo does not limit curriculum to the kindergarten level, but instead offers a range of curriculum to serve each child’s level in each subject.
- Language Arts and Reading
- Multisensory Teaching System for Reading and Spelling (MTS) http://www.mtspublications.com
- Science – McMillan, McGraw-Hill
- Handwriting – Handwriting Without Tears http://www.hwtears.com
- Creative Arts – Fine Art, creative art, and daily music.
- Health and Physical Education – Daily recess and gross motor activities.
- Languages Other Than English – daily Spanish language enrichment instruction.
- Technology Applications – Interactive, hands-on technology; computer lab with Smart Board Technology.
- Social Life Skills – manners, social interactions and relating, self-regulation and other life skills are taught as daily informal and formal lessons.
Enrichment Curriculum (optional):
- Technology Lab – Our technology lab offers an array of options for the children to learn beyond the walls of the classroom. Our state-of-the-art Smart Board Technology (http://smarttech.com/smartboard) allows students to interact with teacher-led lessons that make the world come alive!
- Science Lab – Our weekly science lab allows for hands-on experiments that can yield surprising results. The children learn how volcanoes erupt, seeds grow, and why matter matters! Each spring, the children enjoy studying the 21-day lifecycle of the egg. They watch in wonderment as the baby chicks peck their way out of their shells and become a part of our classroom!
- Creative Expression – This Enrichment Class takes handwriting to the next level. The children experiment with sentence formation and illustration, in addition to presenting in front of their classmates.
- Fine Art – Fine Art Friday is a great way to end the week! Our Fine Art class explores all of the great artists throughout history. The children paint on canvas as they recreate Van Gough’s masterpiece, splatter paint into works of art like Pollock, and learn about impressionism as they honor Monet. Our Kindergarten art class goes way beyond crayons!
Our nurturing program, exemplary curriculum, optional Enrichment Classes and teacher experience ensure school readiness and success for your child for years to come.